Machine Learning and Tomography Scientist
We invite applications for a Machine Learning and Tomography Scientist. The position is initially limited to 1 year. As the Machine Learning and Tomography Scientist, you will be responsible for developing algorithms and machine/deep learning models to handle, analyse and denoise X-ray CT, spectroscopy and diffraction/scattering data.
Finden offers research & development services to clients across sectors. Our work is strongly aligned with research themes centred around sustainability and resilience. Working at Finden gives the opportunity to work on an array of interesting projects covering different technologies and using state of the art methods and approaches to measurement and analysis. We work closely with academic groups, research institutions and facilities and industrial researchers, giving our scientists the opportunity to take part in research projects and publish (https://www.finden.co.uk/publications/).
Finden has offices and laboratories at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus. This is a 700-acre science and technology campus in Oxfordshire, England where over 6,000 people work from over 240 public and private sector organisations, working across sectors including Space, Clean Energy, Life Sciences and Quantum Computing. There are regular technology events, seminars and lectures to attend and excellent opportunities for self development. We have flexible working and remote working options.
- Develop and implement neural network architectures for object detection, image segmentation, clustering (1D spectral and 2D image), denoising and super-resolution
- Develop methodologies, algorithms and design mathematical models, machine learning and neural network approaches for data analysis, computational simulations (e.g. X-ray CT), tomographic image reconstruction and artifact removal (e.g. ring, zinger and metal artefacts)
- Implement algorithms in modern machine learning platforms like Tensorflow and/or PyTorch
- Deploy deep learning models online and create web services for data analysis
- Design and implement graphical user interfaces using Qt/PyQt for the developed code, perform rigorous testing, prepare reports and software documentation
- Maintain and expand the current data processing and analysis pipeline for imaging and spectroscopy data
- Maintain and expand the current image/signal processing code in Python and Matlab
- Publish scientific results at international peer reviewed journals
- Support other Finden scientists in machine/deep learning and tomography data analysis
- Keep track of the state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of computed tomography science/technology and applied deep learning
- Work independently as well as with the lead scientist and team members to define scope and goals in computational projects
- Master/PhD degree in computer science, machine learning, physics, mathematics, engineering, chemistry/materials science or equivalent
- Excellent programming skills in Python and/or MATLAB
- Proven experience with TensorFlow and/or PyTorch
- Experience with image processing, tomographic reconstruction algorithms and dealing with related reconstruction artefacts, noise subtraction and image enhancement techniques
- Experience with graphical user interface software development such as Qt and/or PyQt
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Be open to learning new technologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to adjust to dynamic work environment
- Ability to set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines
- Software development skills (full stack)
- Working in a Linux environment
- Knowledge of CUDA/GPU programming
- Experience with C++
- Experience with web services and frameworks
- Experience with with computer vision algorithms
Flexible office/home work schedule is possible with demonstrated high quality job performance.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV in the PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other supporting documents are welcomed (e.g. publications, information regarding previous software development projects)
If you are an overseas applicant without the existing right to work in the UK, you will need to be eligible to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa. When checking eligibility the relevant occupation codes can be used: 2111, 2113, 2119.